Inspired by a recipe in the Paleo book "Well Fed", this Chocolate Chili is an easy way to get an extra dose of turmeric!
- 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted, chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium onions, diced (about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons espresso seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
Heat a large, deep pot over medium-high heat, then add the coconut oil. When the oil is melted, add onions, stir with a wooden spoon and cook until they’re translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and as soon as it’s fragrant, about 30 seconds, crumble the ground meat into the pan with your hands, mixing with the wooden spoon to combine. Continue to cook the meat, stirring often, until it’s no longer pink.
In a small bowl, crush the oregano between your palms to release its flavor, then add the chili powder, cumin, espresso seasoning, turmeric, cocoa, allspice, and salt. Combine with a fork, then add to the pot, stirring like you mean it. Add tomato paste and stir until combined, about 2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes with their juice, beef broth, and water to the pot. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat so the chili enjoys a gentle simmer. Simmer uncovered for at least two hours. Do not skimp on the simmer! Serve in deep bowls, add onions and avocado and sprinkle with espresso seasoning.
For a bit of crunch, add some sweet potato chips!